Apr 1, 2010

Soooo Boring Sydney

Oh dear I've committed sedition! That's if finding Sydney boring is the criterion - the trouble is we're not really Ozzers; we don't booze, do drugs or like sport. I've given up on the Oz theatre including film; it's supposed to be professional but I just can't see it ... something always seems to be lacking or maybe - and more likely - I'm not all that keen on year 12 humour and I've seen so much "Gay" stuff over too many years masquerading as entertainment to be even mildly shocked. As I say, Sydney seems so boring and it's getting scruffier each year.

We went to the Gal NSW to see Archibald et al and, honestly, the shows were poor. I suppose you have to take into account the desire to present something controversial but, really, there is so much of  not-leaving-your-mates-behind  that things get very stale. A few of the chosen portraits were excellent but the rest ... er ... crap. The Wynne had a couple of notable pieces and the Sulman was, as ever, a complete mystery - what were the selectors on? This was the Sulman winner. Explain it if you can. Still, it's all good for the arty-farty crowd I'm sure. The show at the Ervin gallery has some good work; much better than some of the stuff selected for the "real" shows.

Didn't see so many ugly, fat lessos in Newtown this time. Has there been a cull?