Jul 21, 2010

Manuals Manuals Manuals ...

So here we are in a minimalistic Italian chic apartment with all the bells and whistles you could ask for - well nearly all. Trouble is you have to know how to use them! Every one of the appliances is either Italian or German. Even the hotplate has a mind of it's own ... "Use the manual", you say. We would if there was one. Enter the Internet. Not so fast on the assumed answer to the problem. After an hour of key tapping I found one for the washing machine - in English thank God. That mean our smalls and larges can be washed but what about the dishwasher? I think we'll resort to the old tried and tested method for the time being because it took nearly three hours to wash an experimental load on Eco - whatever that means ...

The underfloor heating manual is in English but I haven't had time to enroll at the university yet - I thought the course "Deciphering  Electrical Jargon for Idiots" seems appropriate. What is an "optional-selectable-circuit-linked-networked-isolated-area-pseudo-manual-thermostatic-sensor-timer-switch with automatic-sensor-override" anyway? I just want to turn the heating off ...

Just to confound the occupant the architect also included an air-recycling-extraction system. Yes, that's understandable since the huge windows are best kept closed - traffic noise as you would expect in the centre of a large city. But, there are four switches - two marked boost and the others discovered by experiment. No manual - I've figured it'll take a week or two to find out exactly how it all works.

I had fun taking the garbage to the bin locker which is in the basement. No problem; until I let the door on the locker close behind me. I needed the electronic key to re-open the door! After a second's thought I had the high-tec solution. Grab the handle, swear like a stoker and give the door an almighty heave - bingo! I escaped the clutches of the garbage monster ...

What's next ... stay tuned, we have to collect the post today (where is the dratted post box ... ?)