Jun 21, 2012

Two Days Hectic Resettling And More

We arrived on Monday and had moved in by lunch time Wednesday. That day being sunny we took a quick trip to Stanage and met up with our friends. After a pleasant walk up to the Mill Pond I went off to help gather sheep for one of the local farmers.

The sheep were grazing on a very steep moor which meant that the farmer and my friend with his two dogs had an exhausting time getting the sheep to come down to the fenced yard. I just stood by while the herd came down and eventually helped get them into the yard and gated up. Among the flock was one of the biggest rams I've seen; I kept well away from him.

As expected there were some less cooperative individuals who ran back down the field and over the beck so as to get back where they came from. After much effort the escapees were gathered. I ended up helping drag and carry a lamb and two awkward old ewes, one soaked from the beck, into to fold. The strength of an unwilling ewe has to be experienced to be believed - roast mutton came to mind more than once! The effort the local hill farmers have to put in to farm these sheep makes my knees weak just thinking about it ...

Back at the cottage we had tea and a great natter with our friends. The dogs, as always, expected biscuits and a stick/ball throwing game out on the fell next to the cottage. It is really great to be back again!