Aug 25, 2009

Probability or Just Plain Spooky

Out on the crags on Sunday; blustery but sunny. A liitle part of Stanage was all activity. A film crew had set up, with the rangers help, ready film an advertisement for some supermarket. The actor involved was Richard Hammond with a bevy of climbers and a stand-in to enable the "shots". I took the opportunity to "shoot" some of the action. Give the number of people involved it also provided ample opportunity to "chat".

Everything seem to be going well until the location manager asked me to stop filmimg and go away. Give that the location was on Public land (owened by the Park who, as you'll appreciate, are themselves owned by and managed for the "public" - a point they, the Park Authorities sometime forget. I, using my well known charm, informed the fellow that he had no authority and suggested we talk the situation over with the Park odfficers who were inattendance. I think it came as a bit of a shock when he realised that the officers were friends of mine. Things were "sorted", as the Brits say. The problem was that the Artistic Director was worried that I was a reporter from the local rag or TV. She, Margaret, and I chatted about steeling other "artist" ideas and both agreed that we had both been unnecessarily concerned. All's well that ends well ...

Richard Hammond spent most of the day waiting to "act" - very boring. He and I had an interesting chat. I liked the man; to me he seems a genuine, unassuming fellow, both interesting to talk to and in no way a posturing TV personality. I liked him even more when I he told me that he flew helos!

There I was standing looking out over the valley when I heard, "Malcolm is that relly you?" My God it was Ken Robinson! Last time I saw him was several years ago in Australia. No only that we worked for the same Circus Department and I had retired 12 years ago. He left after a quick natter and I turn to talk to the still photographer of the crew.

It was then that I heard the stunt double say he was a caver. "Do you know Tony Waltham?", I asked.

"Yes. He's a goodmate of mine. Why?"

I explained that Tony had been one of my tutors at uni and I that had been trying to contact him for old-times-sake. We exchanged emails.

I resumed looking out over the valley; Hammond was laying on a rock snoozing more or less at my feet. I noticed two people sitting on rocks next to the sleeping talent; they were munching on sandwiches oblivious to their surroundings. It was then I realised who they were. CC and Frank! They have a home in Perth and CC is a Prof. at the university in Sheffield; we met some years ago, when we exchanged emails, as you do, but, as often the case, never got together - until now. A third coincidence seems a bit spooky to me.

The filming finished and having missed the bus back to Sheffield, I walked down to my friends cottage. What a day!