Jun 22, 2011

Buxom Buxton ... Just a Day Out

We were out-and-about today visiting a friend's hide-away in Stoney Middleton. Since we had a car, we decided to visit Buxton and see what it had to offer on a damp afternoon.

We went via Baslow, where we visited the local church, only to gate-crash the vicars 25th anniversary pray-in. The vicar's wife seemed a bit confused when I suggested that he had an eternity to redeem his sins, he too was somewhat bemused when I said I was surprised that his wife had confided in me that he was thinking about changing his job. He saw the jest of it, else I suppose would have been damed to the eternal fires which warm these Satanic Mills. I can't help myself sometimes ...

Charlie's Cafe and Bistro provided reasonable coffee and a slice of excellent Victoria Sandwich to make the church stop even more worthwhile.

Buxton in the damp has some merit by way of Victorian architecture, but we wandered little and decided to head for Stanage to catch up with some friends who run a coffee van in the car parking area which is frequented by walkers and climbers. The same friend who have the hide-away in Stoney M.

Back at the ranch ... time for lashings of Italian food and a visit from yet other folk ...