Jan 28, 2011

And The Levy Was Dry ...

I know it's "levee" in the song, but the flood of anger about the other one has almost drowned my optimism in a sea disbelief. The tide certainly has turned on the outpouring of generosity that has been trumpeted as typical of the Oz character. The Premier of NSW have come up with the most inane of reasons why Sydney dwellers shouldn't be levied - sometimes the stupidity of politicians exceeds expectations  ...

I calculated that what I'll be paying is not even enough for a meal in a cheap restaurant, two tickets to the movies, a decent haircut, ... I could go on for pages; certainly not enough to affect our travel plans. I have always said, "If you pay lots of tax you must be lucky enough to have lots of income." The levy is, after all, just another tax and I know of no other way to finance a socially responsible government. I have just read this: "With taxes you buy civilization" - how true ..

Travel-wise we have had a deluge of ideas, but it seems likely we'll fly to/from London via Tokyo again. We'll probably have two weeks in Japan both ways - earthquakes and volcanic activity permitting. One thing that we'll avoid is the ice and snow in the UK ... there was enough last year for our aged bones ...