Jan 2, 2011

Art Show or Art 'n' Crafts Market ...

The local Art and Craft Society are having their annual show. As per, it looks more like a local flee market. So many pieces on each of the free-standing display panels that it seems just a clutter of stuff. Some average to good and most terrible to poor. Is it art? Honestly, I don't really know. The horse sculpture made from a set of spanners just doesn't look anything more than a Mechanic's Hobby Project (Retired Mechanic's Projects, Vol 9, 1901) , the dozens of beach scenes and flowers are as boring as ever, the abstracts are so abstract that they are muddled and the pastels seems to be dripping with sugar. All very nice for those who like what the know and want something that matches their curtains ...

The trouble with having seen some really exceptional Art - it taints the eye ... so sorry, but the local show made me cringe even when I made allowance for the social reasons for the event and the membership of the Art and Craft Society.

That said, I'll no doubt engage my hypocritical genes and join the Society so that I can go to the Life Drawing events later in January ... there is no other choice if I want to continue what I was doing in Sheffield. Ah, the benefits of living in The Sticks.